Monday, February 8, 2010

The Delivery Story

Ok, so for all you mothers-to-be, do not, I repeat do NOT count on having 8-10 hours of labor at home.  Had someone given me this advice, I probably would not have hopped in the shower once my water broke and insisted on doing my hair before heading to the labor and delivery ward of Fairview Southdale Hospital.

Here's the approximate chain of events:

8:45 pm  Arrive home from work after feeling nauseous with a headache all day but no "real" contractions
10:00 pm  Finish packing my suitcase for the hospital not thinking we'd be there later in the evening (still no labor pains)
11:15 pm  My water breaks
11:30 pm  I decide to take a shower and jump right in (thinking I'd at home in labor until morning)
11:33 pm-12:30 am  James times my contractions and starts to think he'll be delivering our first born himself as my contractions go from being 4 to less than 2 minutes apart and I insist on blow drying and flat ironing my hair before leaving for the hospital.  (Yes, I really did.)
1:00 am We FINALLY arrive at the hospital and discover I am already 6 cm dilated with contractions coming less than 2 minutes apart and lasting more than a minute.  They REALLY started to hurt and I decide that an epidural wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
2:00 am  I'm 9.5 cm dilated and get that glorious epidural.  Did you know they take up to 15 minutes to work?!
2:40 am I start to push
3:56 am  Our little baby makes her entrance and our lives are forever changed:)

Savannah's first smile


3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh. that is such a sarah story! you made me smile. give me a ring when you catch a break. i'd love to hear your mommy stories! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great story! I love the you remember the times, savoring every moment. Don't feel bad about the hair thing; I know a few moms that did the same thing! Gotta look good for all the photos and visitors, especially the most important one of all, Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Sarah! Thanks for sharing & I'll tuck away that labor advice for someday when I need it. :) Hope you all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete